We have all heard it. Give a man a fish…you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish….you feed him for a lifetime. But what if that man is starving? What if he just needs a fish sandwich?
That got us thinking.
In one of only two miracles recorded in all four gospels, Jesus was faced with a large crowd of hungry people. He didn’t hand them a fish, and He didn’t offer fishing lessons. He told them to get comfortable, took a few fish and some bread, and HE FED THEM.
Simple. See a need – meet a need.
And where did the fish and bread come from? A small boy who had no idea how his small gift would be used. He just offered what he had. It was a good thing. It turns out that a few fish and a little bread can go a long way when the right person makes the sandwiches. There is a lesson here for all of us.
- Our Faith mandates that we live a life of service and giving
- Most people have a strong desire to serve those in need
- Most people have a generous and giving spirit
- Most people really want to do more than they are doing
- Most people struggle to incorporate service and giving into their daily lives
- Most people never translate their good intentions into good works
- One person could be inspired to take action
- That single action could be replicated millions of times
- The good works and ideas of the few could be seen and carried out by the masses
- Being part of something big could be accomplished by doing something small
- We all incorporated doing good things into our daily lives
- Good intentions could be converted into action
- Good Works could go mobile…and social….and VIRAL
So here’s our Plan…
We want to change the world.
OK….so that may sound a little ambitious, but no great movement or cause ever started without great ambition. Fact is….we don’t plan to do this by ourselves. This is bigger than us. This requires all of us (that means you too). You see…The Good Works Project is a bit of a social experiment. Our goal is to encourage people of faith to collaborate together and take action to do good things for a world that desperately needs it. We are creating a social community to share and amplify the actions, causes, successes, prayers, and generosity of those doing good things, with the goal of inspiring, motivating, and encouraging more people to live a life of active service to others. Think of it as a way to encourage a small act of service and then replicate it through an engaged and active social media community.
We’re not going to preach…..we’re going to DO. We’re also going to have fun, be a little edgy, and challenge conventional thinking along the way.
Now, we are just getting started, but we have big (actually HUGE) plans for 2017 and beyond. In the coming months, we will start building the largest community for social good that social media has ever seen – just ordinary people (like you) doing extraordinary things.
We want to change the world…for good.
“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” – James 2:14-17